The Legislative Offseason – What’s a Legislator to Do?

By Clyde Chambliss


 I am often asked what I do when the State Legislature is not in session. Well, when the Legislature is out-of-session, there are still many ongoing state government issues. For instance, in just the first two weeks of July, I was contacted by dozens of constituents with issues, problems, or concerns regarding the following:

The Alabama Motor Fuels Marketing Act; the Department of Transportation; the Department of Human Resources; the Personnel Department; Pardons and Paroles; real estate appraisers; environmental nuisances; a ROTC recommendation; the Industrial Development Board; a city council appointment; the Industrial Access Authority; downtown redevelopment; the Department of Corrections; pistol permits; veterans’ issues; county road maintenance; and tax issues.

Most of the time, the constituent is frustrated by his or her interaction with a state government agency before he or she contacts me. So, I help the person work through the system to resolve the issue. Most of the time we can reach a resolution, but sometimes we cannot.

As you know, Alabama has a “part-time” citizen legislature. My job outside of politics is working as a civil engineer. My wife and I run our own business and all the issues that get put on the back burner during the session must be dealt with once we are out of session.

My family and my Christian faith are important to me and they also require an investment of time. So between the legislature, business, family, and faith, there’s not a lot of hours left over in a week. But I wouldn’t have it any other way! I very much enjoy serving you in the State Legislature.

Sure, there are frustrations, lack of progress, and outright disappointments at times; but when I can help someone through a problem, get assistance where needed, or resolve conflict – it makes it all worthwhile!

So, anytime you have a problem with a state agency, need help knowing where to go, or how to get something done, please contact me by email at [email protected] or by phone at 334-247-7872. I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Thank you for allowing me to represent you in Montgomery!

Republican Clyde Chambliss represents all or parts of Autauga, Elmore, Chilton, Coosa, and Tallapoosa Counties in the Alabama Senate. Follow him on Twitter for the latest legislative updates: @Clyde_Chambliss